with permission, an excerpt from john doris's forthcoming book. i wanted to post this because i think it is an excellent summary of the current crisis in social/personality psychology from a well-informed 'outsider'. this will be review for many psychologists, but should be useful for new researchers, and for those outside of psychology who want some background/analysis from someone who is not in the trenches but has read and thought a lot about this literature and these issues.
art by melissa dominiakDoris, J. M. 2015. Talking to Our Selves: Reflection, Ignorance, and Agency. Oxford:Oxford University Press. […] At this writing, social psychology is being shaken by charges that many published findings, including numerous iconic findings, do not replicate when tested by independent investigators. Continue reading
Want us to add your blog?This site aggregates blogs about personality psychology. If you'd like us to add your blog to the meta-blog, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Guest Post by John Doris – Simine Vazire (sometimes i'm wrong)
- How to Flunk Uber: A Guest Post by Bob Hogan – David Funder (funderstorms)
- DMT: Gateway to Reality, Fantasy or What? – Scott McGreal (Unique—Like Everybody Else)
- Does Power Help or Hurt Perspective-Taking? – Amie Gordon (Psych Your Mind)
- Personality, Your Money, and Your Health – Howard Friedman (Secrets of Longevity)
- The selection-distortion effect: How selection changes correlations in surprising ways – Sanjay Srivastava (The Hardest Science)
Filter Posts by Blog
DisclaimerThe views expressed in blog posts are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Association for Research in Personality.